Cardigan through to Bay Cup Final

By County Echo Reporter in Football

CARDIGAN Town will take on rivals Newcastle Emlyn in the final of the Bay Cup a week on Saturday, 27 May at Parc Puw in Drefach Felindre, after both teams came through for comfortable semi-final wins over the weekend.

The Magpies were well worth their 4-1 victory over St Dogmaels at the School Field, and they were pretty much home and dry at the break as they led by 3-0.

Ben Davies, who was very influential throughout, got them off to a flying start as he netted with a superb strike, and within 10 minutes Town had trebled their lead with goals by Ewan Jones and Tomos Toft.

The hosts though enjoyed a few decent chances, with Rhys Jones going close with a snap shot and Ioan Owen had a half chance that went just wide of the target.

St Dogmaels got off to an excellent start after the break when John Ridgley scored from an acute angle, and the Greens pushed on for another score to bring them back into the game.

Owen was gifted two decent chances, with one of these from a header, but he was unable to capitalise.

Cardigan weathered the storm, however, and they killed the game off when Ewan Jones scored a fine individual goal to round off an excellent performance.

It was a similar story at Parc Emlyn where the Reds came through for a very solid 6-1 win over New Quay.

They opened their account very early in the game, and the contest was all over by the break as in-form striker Jake Kelly ran rings around the New Quay defence.

Kelly went on to claim four goals, just as he did in the previous round against Crannog, and there were goals also for Dafydd Owens and defender Huw Jones with a penalty as they hit the Seasiders for six.

In midweek, St Dogmaels had caused a major shock when they beat league champions Llandysul 5-0 in the Bay Cup quarter-finals.

The win came at as cost though as Chris Morgan sustained a broken arm in a collision with Swallows’ keeper Jon Durbridge, and Justin Williams and Mindugas Simkevicius had also both pulled hamstrings.

The Saints had opened the scoring when John Midgley chipped Durbridge from a tight angle on the edge of the box, before Marcus Dean then doubled the lead.

Midgley went on to complete his hat-trick and Ioan Owen hammered home the fifth goal for the Saints.

Meanwhile the race for runners-up spot behind champions Llandysul is set to go right to the wire, with Newcastle Emlyn, Crannog and Lampeter all in with a chance of second position.

Emlyn and Crannog, who are level on points, were set to go head to head in their final match in midweek, and a win for either side would seal runners-up spot.

A draw, however, would mean that Lampeter could snatch second place on Saturday by beating St Dogmaels in their final game.

Last Wednesday, Crannog had beaten Dewi Stars 3-0, and Lampeter were held to a 1-1 draw with Cardigan, whilst on Saturday Felinfach beat Cilgerran 7-1.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C